Thursday, June 10, 2010

i will miss...

  • The girls at Street Girls Aid...seeing the smiles on their faces and receiving big hugs when I walk in, hearing them call me ‘sister Amanda,’ their awestruck faces upon seeing my innie belly button and what they described as ‘golden’ arm hair, seeing their smiles when they learned something new, hearing Rosemary tell me that she prays for me, hearing them say ‘ey! ey!’ in disgust everytime I describe American food, seeing Ayisha’s shy smile break out every time I told her how smart she was, talking with Mina, and having Bible study with them
  • International students bible study in Zac and Leah’s room
  • People hissing at me to get my attention
  • Little children yelling out ‘obruni’ when they see me, waving excitedly, and running over to touch my white skin
  • Riding tro-tros around
  • The way the mates pronounce Madina (which is my favorite place to get on a tro-tro to just because of the way it's pronounced)
  • The chaotic frenzy of markets
  • Everyone making fun of me for thinking every food is spicy….it IS!
  • Ghanaian theater…so priceless
  • The people at the Night Market…getting a hug from Laraba every morning, opening my door to see 10-year-old Ruth standing there with a smile, bringing snacks to my favorite rice ladies at the “Flavour of God” ricestand and seeing their excitement, walking up to Margaret’s bean stand and her knowing exactly what I wanted since I got the same thing every night
  • Cold showers after a long day out in the heat....glorious!!!
  • Walking into the slums where Comfort, Ata, Afia and Adua live to have them run towards me and give me hugs
  • Biting the corners off water sachets or ice creams or yogurts…or at least attempting to
  • Sitting in my room never knowing what song will be blasting out of the Night Market next
  • Hanging out with my lovely roommate Seguah…. trying to imitate her accent, locking her out of our room to annoy her, receiving her disapproving looks of my pile of dirty dishes, her laughing hysterically at me when I danced, and her face of disgust when I made her smell my closet full of dirty clothes (can you believe that she still loves me?! :) )
  • Waking up to Celine Dion or the Backstreet Boys blasting out of the Night Market
  • Seeing people carry ridiculous things on their heads….like chicken coops with live chickens in them!

No comments:

Post a Comment