Tuesday, January 19, 2010

being the minority

It is rare here to see another white person (or really a person of any other race other than black). So, whenever any white person sees another white person, an instant friendship is formed. We stop on the streets to introduce ourselves because we can see that they are in the same position as us….in a different country with no idea of what they are doing. It is comforting to know that all of us white people, used to the benefits and cultures of more developed nations, are getting used to the Ghanaian way of life. It makes me think of how I have often heard Americans (including myself) say, why don’t the minorities in America integrate more? Why do all the black people stick to themselves, why are the Hispanics only really friends with each other, why do the Japanese separate themselves? Being here for just a few days has showed me that being the minority is hard. The majority in any place enjoys privileges they are not even aware of….I am not faulting anyone, but just saying that being the minority is difficult. It makes more sense to me now why blacks would want to hang out with blacks, Hispanics with Hispanics, etc. It is easier and more comfortable being around people who come from the same background as you…It makes you not feel as alone. I am not advocating segregation, but bringing up the point that we need to consider this issue from the perspectives of the minorities rather than just the majority. I am glad that I have the chance to be the minority here, to get a better understanding of how that feels.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, yes, yes...this is very true, being a minority for a change does have a way of changing your whole perspective on a lot of things (I thought through some of the same stuff in Turkey). This week I've been thinking about how race and physical appearances affect that, b/c in Europe as a white American it's a very different experience, since I can't ID other anglophones as easily. That significantly breaks down the minority bond.
    (hey look, i'm reading your blog! thanks to leah)

    ReplyDelete